Sparrowbooks

William A. Barton Arnett J. Holloway
Garner on Language & Writing
Bryan A. Garner

Whose Monet? An Introduction To The American Legal System

Whose Monet?: An Introduction to the American Legal System - John A. Humbach In case a librarian happens by, this book is 232 pages, not 256. Weird.

I have to say I'm not a fan. I could write you a lengthy review full of all caps and question mark/exclamation point combos, but I'll spare you. This book seemed more like a summary of what the author knows about civil procedure than a teaching tool. By that, I mean that it seemed accurate for the most part (with a few odd exceptions), but not exceptionally clear or helpful.

Frankly, I'm mystified as to why an author would choose this case as an illustration of civil procedure. Old, rich ladies squabbling over a really expensive painting lacks a certain human interest side that I would look for in something designed to inspire law study. Like, sure, the theft took place during one of the most devastating genocides in all of human history, but let's talk about some super rich people having a cat fight. This book is like reading Romeo & Juliet without any irony or youth-and-stupidity-excuse for the excess and shallowness. Then, throw in a strangely long explanation of common law and sideways references to Erie that don't really explain the doctrine or its importance.