Sparrowbooks

Recovering for Psychological Injuries 2nd Edition 0941916510
William A. Barton Arnett J. Holloway
Garner on Language & Writing
Bryan A. Garner
Playing Dead (Zombie Kid Diaries, #1) - Fred Perry, David Hutchinson Okay, dudes. I’m not gonna lie. This was pretty good. I know I’m not the audience of this book because I’m not a 7-9 year old boy, but . . . it was pretty funny. It dragged a little in the beginning to middle because I wasn’t quite sure whether there would be total zombie apocalypse or just middle-school apocalypse, but then it picked up some momentum. The place where it went from three to four stars was when there was a surprise double rainbow joke. That was just a good one. Also the very end where he’s saying he didn’t throw the game, and Janine is like, “Sure, whatever, but I still would have kicked your ass.” That part was pretty funny.

I imagine this is something like Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Though, really, if you’re wimpy because of zombie virus, but secretly you’re a pro gamer, how much more compelling is that? Well, more compelling than what I picture Diary of a Wimpy Kid to be like, anyway, with no actual knowledge of the book. I’m sure it’s lovely, though.

Anyway, the zombie story is done pretty cleverly here. There is a dramatic father abandonment in the beginning, and then mom – because of her job as a human test subject – contracts zombie virus. There are some great stories that talk about mothers who are present in body, but absent in soul – Atonement, Goodbye, Lenin, Hamlet – and for me this was an effective representation of the disconnect of a parent who has too much emotional trauma to really be there for a kid who is going through crazy body changes and cruelty at school. It was simple, but well done.

And all of that carried through for the representation of our kid as a zombie adolescent. There were some decent fart jokes and a good zit moment and horrors of gym class. And the whole book is basically about video games, so that seems right. I thought it was really clever. If you’re the target audience of this book, I would think you’re going to end up feeling both like you have a leg up from this kid (because really zombie virus and adolescence? Sucky) and like there is something to look up to in his motivation to waste the other gamers.

I approve.

_______________________________
Oh, and I got this on NetGalley because sometimes I need something else to do so I don't fall asleep while I'm listening to lectures about civil procedure and wills and trusts. Get over it.