Sparrowbooks

Recovering for Psychological Injuries 2nd Edition 0941916510
William A. Barton Arnett J. Holloway
Garner on Language & Writing
Bryan A. Garner
The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov, Diana Burgin, Katherine Tiernan O'Connor The story I am about to tell is made approximately 70% less funny by the fact that it is associated with this book, so if you've read the book, the part that I think is the punch line will probably be obvious before I tell you. Oh well, though.

When I lived in Ukraine, there was a volunteer who was a pilates instructor, so my friend, Margarita (real name), and I were talking about going to a pilates class. One of our gentleman friends overheard us, came up to us hesitantly, and asked, "Is that how you say that word? P-I-L-A-T-E-S? Pill-AH-tees?"

"Yes," said Margarita. "Wait, how do YOU say it?"

"PIE-lets?"

Margarita burst out laughing and laughed for a good fifteen minutes.

A few months later, when everyone was reading The Master and Margarita, I ran into our gentleman friend again. "Have you read Master and Margarita yet?" He asked me.

"Yes," I said, "I don't think I love it as much as a lot of other people."

"I like the parts with pon-TEE-us pill-AH-tees," he said.

"WITH WHO???" I asked.

"pon-TEE-us pill-AH-tees."

"You mean Pontius Pilate?!" I asked, and laughed for another good fifteen minutes. Sometimes, you can't win.

I don't have much to say about this book. I thought the beginning was solid and then it wandered, but I get, in theory, how it is somehow associated with Soviet national spirit, and that seems cool.