Sparrowbooks

Recovering for Psychological Injuries 2nd Edition 0941916510
William A. Barton Arnett J. Holloway
Garner on Language & Writing
Bryan A. Garner
French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure - Mireille Guiliano Old posts are in spoiler tags below, so you don't have to see them every time I write something new. But, don't worry, I'm not spoilering the outcome of the book. YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENS! Okay, if you want to know: she gets skinny again.

I read this years ago on loan when I worked at Barnes and Noble, and it had just come out. It is not at all bad. A lot of it is just staple advice, like, "taste your food and don't eat food that is tasteless," or "portion control," or "don't obsess about how you look," etc. So, all good advice, and maybe deserving of its own book, but I'm not totally sure.

TMI ALERT.

BUT, it has this cleanse recipe for a leek soup cleanse that I've always wanted to use, and I am going to tell you how it is after I do it. When I get super stressed out or out of my element, I get kind of scarily bloated. Or scary to me - but actually also scary to pedestrians and children, I'm pretty sure. And puppies. Not good. So, this happened to me studying for the bar exam. I ate a diet that was mostly peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, pickles, pizza, coffee and beer. Surprisingly enough, I feel like crap right now. So, it is finally time for the leek soup. I will not be providing pictures, I think, because it will look like boiled leeks and me. Use your imagination. Also, think of the puppies. No one should see pictures of me right now.

That is all I have to tell you about until after the magical leek soup experiment. It starts Saturday night.

______________________________

Saturday, July 28, 2012:

Okay, I boiled the leeks to make the broth, and I checked all of these websites to see if it's okay to start the magic at night, or if it needs to be in the morning. It looked like morning is the better way to go, so I got everything set up. A few things to note: boiling leeks will make your house and fridge smell like boiled leeks. Also, the recipe says boil them for 20-30 minutes. At first, I went for 20, but then I thought maybe it needed a little longer, so I went for 30. I probably should have gone for a middle ground or stuck with 20 because they're a little mushy now.

Also, the recipe says to chop the ends off the leeks and cover them with water. It was confusing to me that the recipe didn't call for me to chop them until they laid flat at the bottom of the pot and cover them with water. Ultimately, I don't think this is a big deal, but I think I have too much leek broth.

Finally, a lot of the websites say women felt kind of sick after drinking the leek broth, so they gave up. On one website, there was a comment from this woman who was like, "OMG, I could NEVER do this because I MUST have my double skinny carmel macchiato with a sprinkle of cinnamon and extra foam every morning!" (paraphrase) That was annoying. But, I do have coffee every morning, so I decided to make some green tea iced tea with caffeine, and drink that. Just, you know, FYI, that will be sullying my experiment.

leeks

Sunday, July 29, 2012:

You'll notice that I'm not following the prescription in the book to start this magic on Saturday and finish on Sunday night. Because I have all the days off right now!!! That's why! Every day is my weekend!

Okay, so I drank 1 cup of the leek broth and I ate 1/2 a cup of leek. I also am drinking a glass of my cheating green tea. Oh, I forgot to say that one of the girls who posted on a website I saw said she still drinks a cup of black coffee when she does this, but I feel like she was the same girl who said her stomach feels crappy in the morning after doing this. Hint: black coffee on a stomach full of leek broth might do that.

Anyway, the leek was, as promised, actually really yummy. I am a super grumpy morning person, and I don't like to eat things that have too much flavor or odor in the morning, so when I opened the fridge and smelled the leek smell, I'mma be honest, I was not excited. But, then, I . . . sauteed the leek? It says to drizzle it in some olive oil and lemon juice or salt and pepper, so instead I put some olive oil in a skillet and heated the leek up that way and then put a little salt on it. I feel like the word "saute" says to me that I mixed it around in a skillet in oil, but that is not really what I did. It was more like a slab of leek that I browned on each side. So, anyway, it was really good. Now, I am sitting and writing this. I don't feel nauseous, but I am sort of lounging on my couch, which is usually an easy cure for feeling nauseous, so I'm not sure if I'm really giving it the chance I should give it to make me nauseous.

I will say that it did not give me a burst of energy. I wasn't expecting one, but I think that's why it's a good idea to do this when you can set aside some time where you're not running a marathon or spending a long day acting in a network television show, or whatever you normally do that would be draining.

Monday, July 30, 2012:

Friends, there is a happy ending to this tale of leeks. I was pretty good all day yesterday, and I drank my leek broth as prescribed, and ate my little leek patties when I was hungry. And, I'll tell you, they were actually good - both the broth and the leeks themselves. But, here's the thing, the boiled leeks stink to high heaven. So stinky! Once you actually get them cooked, they smell really good, but until then, double yuck and a sprinkle of yucky yuck. Plus gag.

Anyway, I started feeling a little funny and light headed last night, and I was going out to my favorite sushi place with one of my best friends from law school who is leaving FOREVER on Tuesday, so I ate some sushi. It was damn good. Because it was full of the same stuff that is part of the alternative recipe in this book for if you hate leeks, I don't think it was technically that much of a cheat, but then when I got home I realized that I couldn't open the container of stinky leeks again. I am a lightweight. So, I officially stopped the leek thing after one day, not the two commanded to me.

BUT, I actually do feel less bloated, and I could already feel that yesterday, so that was really nice. Also, the green tea did ward off the caffeine headache, so I think that was a good solution. Overall, it ended happy because it ended with some yummy sushi, mission accomplished with the bloating solution, the stink is out of my house, and my love of leeks remains in place. Moral: I'm glad I didn't kill myself trying to do both days of the leek broth.