Sparrowbooks

Recovering for Psychological Injuries 2nd Edition 0941916510
William A. Barton Arnett J. Holloway
Garner on Language & Writing
Bryan A. Garner
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War - Max Brooks, Alan Alda, Mark Hamill, Henry Rollins I do not find the military or military command or structure very interesting, and this book is mostly about that, so it suffered for me from my inherent disinterest in the topic. I should have realized it was mostly about the military from the reviews I read and even from the title of the book, but I did not think that one through all the way. I listened to this on audio and it is possible that my standards were lowered by some really, really terrible audios I've listened to in the past couple of years, but I thought this was a pretty quality production. The pace was good, and even though there were accents, they didn't feel like someone making fun of an accent.

Zombies are a weird topic to write a book about because their impact is descriptive or visual. Their dialogue leaves something to be desired is what I’m saying. In a movie, you can be like, “Holy shit! The zombies are lumbering or sprinting toward the hero!” But the zombies are still interstitial to the story. The zombies are never going to sit the hero down and say, “Hey, we’re just like you and your consumerist culture. Your government scientists should have been more careful in experimenting with bioweapons, but if you learn to really believe in yourself and value your soul and the people around you, you could still save humanity.” Nope. A vampire might say that (but substitute consumerist with pleasure-driven) in a vampire story, and some old dude is going to say that in a zombie story, but a zombie is not going to say it.

So, then, I think you lose a little in a book because of its linear nature. A movie can have tons of things going on at once – a zombie in the background chasing the love interests as they confess their undying affection, a group of survivors huddled in a house discussing next plans as the zombies bang on the windows. Things like that. In a book, the zombie action sort of fades while the survivors discuss what to do next. Then zombies come back, then dialogue, then zombies. It’s easy to lose the visceral nature of the zombies.

But, at the same time, I think this book does a pretty good job of looking at different governmental structures and what their responses would be to a zombie attack. I’m not exactly sure how helpful that is, and its entertainment value was an energetic meh to me, but not bad. I think my favorite stories were the pilot and the Palestinian refugee.