Sparrowbooks

Recovering for Psychological Injuries 2nd Edition 0941916510
William A. Barton Arnett J. Holloway
Garner on Language & Writing
Bryan A. Garner
The Summer Tree (Fionavar Tapestry) - Guy Gavriel Kay Part I of this story is in many ways a grown-up The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, which, of course, rules); I prefer the Julian of Norwich god who is both male and female because I'm less likely to see the female god relegated to the kitchen. There’s some other gender stuff that goes on in these books that makes me a little put off. I don’t think it’s insidious, or anything, I just think it takes away from the entertainment. Like, the priestesses are dangerous and suspicious, but the magicians are noble and trustworthy. But, then when everything gets sexy, the girls aren’t scary anymore. I’m not saying it stays like that the whole time, but, I don’t know. It just has a little bit of a male-culture feel that isn’t super entertaining to me. Like, also, when they’re all out hunting in the fields and glorying in their manhood and then the kid gets the best spirit-animal EVER and it’s a unicorn/Pegasus? What is up with that? Like, dude, She-Ra did it better.

Anyway, I feel like I’m kind of ragging on this book, when I really did like it. I really like the Henry IV storyline, and I like the Seer stuff. I like that they’re all a bunch of Canadian kids and that there’s a law student who really needs to study for Evidence. I like how it assumes the vital importance to the WHOLE UNIVERSE of Celtic folklore. That’s pretty cool. I think Jennifer’s story isn’t really fair, and even though I’m almost through the second book, I still don’t really get it. So, the Satan character targeted Jennifer because destroying her is really important to destroying the universe? Or, just because she’s pretty and he doesn’t have a grander concept for it? If he's willing to waste his time like that, he doesn't seem so intimidating to me. Also, there’s something about her getting tortured that seemed really blunt. I don’t know how to explain my confusion better than that. But, in general, I think the story used some really great legends really creatively. I liked it. I think I should have felt more emotionally attached to the characters, but I think that has more to do with how I feel in general right now than the book itself. Especially if you like fantasy, and especially if you're willing to commit to thousands of pages of fantasy reading (because there is a mammoth cliffhanger at the end of this book), it is worth picking up.