Sparrowbooks

Recovering for Psychological Injuries 2nd Edition 0941916510
William A. Barton Arnett J. Holloway
Garner on Language & Writing
Bryan A. Garner
3 Men in a Boat 6d - Jerome K. Jerome, Martin Jarvis This was fun. It felt sort of like reading P.G. Wodehouse with a laugh track. Like, it was definitely funny, and it is usually a good bet to write an innocently arrogant rich young man slipping on banana peels, right? Everyone likes that. My only complaint isn't even really a complaint, but just something that I think makes Wodehouse's stories slightly more effortless. It is that there is no foil in this book, so the narrator has to act as a foil to himself and reveal his silliness. That ends up being a little *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* where Jeeves, as a foil, allows Bertie to maintain blissful helplessness throughout.

On the other hand, the lack of a direct foil to the narrator did give the stories maybe something of an O. Henry feel. Like, you could feel the wrap-up coming, and you knew it would be a surprise. Sometimes it was not a surprise, but it was very tidy in the sense that O. Henry's are, I think.

I tend to not love laugh tracks, but this was still good. It was very clever, and I do like to laugh at rich British young men. Guarantied good time with that. Still, I would easily pick Wodehouse up before this.